VRLA (valve-regulated lead-acid) battery technology is a type of battery designed to be maintenance-free while offering high performance and long cycle life. Unlike traditional lead-acid batteries, VRLA batteries are sealed and use a recombinant gas to recombine the oxygen and hydrogen generated during overcharge, thus eliminating the need for regular maintenance. VRLA batteries are designed to be highly efficient and are used in a variety of applications, including telecommunications, automotive, and renewable energy systems.
Alpine Power Systems is an industry leading provider of VRLA battery solutions from critical power, telecom, and motive power applications. Allow Alpine to design a VRLA battery solution specific to your application. Alpine provides services for VRLA batteries including engineering & design, installation, preventative maintenance, monitoring, decommissioning, and recycling. We provide VRLA battery solutions for the data center, utility, government, material handling. Healthcare, telecom, and renewable energy industries.
Types of VRLA Batteries:
1. AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Batteries: AGM batteries are the most popular type of VRLA battery. They use a fiberglass mat to immobilize the electrolyte and are sealed, making them virtually maintenance free.
2. TPPL Batteries: A thin plate pure lead battery is a type of lead-acid battery that is primarily used in applications where high levels of power and high cycling performance are required. This type of battery uses a thin plate of pure lead as the active material instead of a lead-antimony alloy, which increases the number of charge-discharge cycles that the battery can handle before showing signs of deterioration. The thinner plates also reduce the internal resistance of the battery, allowing for higher discharge rates and increased capacity.
3. Gel Batteries: Gel batteries are similar to AGM batteries but use a thick, jelly-like electrolyte instead of the fiberglass mat. They are also sealed and maintenance free.
4. Hybrid Batteries: Hybrid batteries are a combination of AGM and gel technology. They use a fiberglass mat to immobilize the electrolyte, but the electrolyte itself is a gel-like substance.
Benefits of VRLA Batteries:
1. Longer life span: VRLA batteries can last up to 10 years or more with proper maintenance.
2. Cost-effective: VRLA batteries require minimal maintenance and are cost-effective when compared to other batteries.
3. Low maintenance: VRLA batteries require minimal maintenance, allowing them to be used for long periods of time without needing to be recharged or replaced.
4. Environmentally friendly: VRLA batteries are non-toxic and do not contain any hazardous materials.
5. High performance: VRLA batteries are able to provide a high level of performance and reliability.
6. Low discharge rate: VRLA batteries are able to maintain their charge for long periods of time, making them great for use in applications that require a lot of power.
7. Resistance to temperature changes: VRLA batteries have a high resistance to temperature changes, making them a great choice for applications in extreme temperatures.
VRLA Battery Applications:
Motive Power Applications: VRLA batteries are ideal for motive power applications due to their ability to provide a reliable, long-term power source. VRLA batteries are maintenance-free, offering a low-cost solution to powering electric vehicles, golf carts, and other motive power applications. VRLA batteries are designed to handle deep cycling and have a long lifespan. They are also highly resistant to vibration and shock, making them well-suited for use in off-road vehicles. Additionally, VRLA batteries are generally lightweight and compact, making them easy to transport and install. With their numerous advantages, VRLA batteries are ideal for use in a wide range of motive power applications.
Critical Power / Backup Power Applications: VRLA batteries are a popular choice for backup power applications due to their long life, low maintenance, and excellent reliability. These batteries are sealed, leak-proof and are highly resistant to vibrations and shocks, making them ideal for industrial applications and mission-critical installations. They are also environmentally friendly and can be recycled at the end of their life cycle. VRLA batteries offer excellent deep discharge recovery and can be recharged quickly, making them ideal for applications that require frequent deep discharges and recharging. Additionally, they are low-cost and require minimal maintenance, making them a cost-effective choice for backup power applications.
VRLA Battery Solutions Offered by Alpine Power Systems
Alpine offers VRLA battery solutions from all of the leading manufacturers including EnerSys, C&D Technologies, Alpha, NorthStar, GS Battery, East Penn Deka, MPInarada, Leoch, and more.
Sign up for Alpine Email Updates